Monday, May 7, 2012

Backhanded Compliments

My child is a sweetie. And he loves me very much. But sometimes he says things that aren't... well... flattering. For example, in the last week:

(As he's touching my face sleepily before bedtime) "Mommy, you have a really soft face. Except your forehead, that's all wrinkly."

(On talking about healthy eating) "But Mom, you're not going to get skinny are you? Your tummy makes a really comfy pillow!"

(After seeing a woman breastfeeding her newborn, and the discussion that followed) "No fair Mom! How come you get to be like a cow but I can't?"

Thanks kiddo. I'm a wrinkly, pillowy cow. The worst part is he meant them all as nice things!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you're a wrinkly, pillowy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, SK says things like that all the time to me to, like when we were having a conversation about how big everyone's stomach is. One fist size for him two fists for dad three fists for brother and "It's not nice to talk about other peoples fat" for mine. LOL

    ReplyDelete