Thursday, January 5, 2012

Depression is a Cunning Bastard.

Excuse my language. But I'm pissed. Or I would be, if I could gather the energy to get off the couch and stomp around.
I've battled depression for years. And I've been on and off meds more times than I can remember. I've never stayed off them this long though, and I thought I was finally "cured"! Back in November, I started to warn myself that winter was coming. And with winter comes less sun/daylight, less outside time, more stress... a recipe for disaster in my books. I warned myself to be careful, and tried to take preventative measures like keeping up with the house (if it's messy, it usually means the inside of my head is messy) and making sure not to overschedule myself.
I thought I had done pretty well. Until I realized that I was sleeping 12 hours out of the day, crying into the refrigerator, and sitting on the couch moping whenever I wasn't out in public putting on my "I'm fine!" act.

Anyway, I am refusing to go back on meds. I know what I'm dealing with, and I think I can conquer it without  substances!
But: has anyone tried vitamin D or other natural supplements that might help? Does anyone have a grow light that helps them? I'd like to help myself out a little, give myself a fighting chance. Any advice?

6 comments:

  1. Why do you have such a problem with meds? If you find the right one it really is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Vitamin D along with a normal multi-vitamin. Also, working out always helped me. Walking off my feelings seemed to bring things to a more manageable level. I also found a great counselor in Wausau who was able to help me avoid meds altogether. I can always give you his name/number if you take that route. My family physician suggested meds initially, but I opted to go the therapy route, along with basic lifestyle changes like vitamins and exercise. The combination was a God-send. Plus, don't forget that depression is nothing to be ashamed of. Cry when you feel like crying, scream when you need to scream, and talk things through when you need to clear your head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing wrong with meds if they help you. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, not something that is easy to overcome without meds. Don't think of using meds as a crutch, but a way to help you cope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points, Anonymous posters! I'm not anti-meds really. I've used them and had them work, and I've used them and they made me feel like a zombie. I think right now I just feel like it's the winter weather getting to me, and I'm having some SAD symptoms instead of the fullblown depression of my teenage years. I'd like to try to cope with them naturally first, rather than running to a doctor who will put me on some pills that I might not even need if I can fix this on my own. I think I'm in a much better place in my life now than I used to be, and if I could figure out a different way than pumping my body full of chemicals that would be great.

    Rest assured, if I am still feeling miserable in a month or so after trying other options, I'll speak to my doctor. I'd just like to try a different way out first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... go organic... if you choose to be responsible it will change your way of life for the good of you, buddy, and mother earth! power to the flowers!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cecilia!
    We have a light that is supposed to help Seasonal Affective Disorder. You can try it out next weekend when you visit. It did seem to help.
    Laure

    ReplyDelete