Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Theatre

Yesterday, Mama went on a 'field trip' with the drama club from college.
We saw 2 amazing shows at the Milwaukee Repertory Theatre, and it was so much fun! Sometimes I need a little reminder that there are still things that fill me with joy, and although I have been neglecting it withing the last few years theatre will always be one of those things.

First, we saw Death of A Salesman, then Bomb-itty of Errors.


It was an interesting combination of shows, Death of a Salesman being a famous serious play while Bomb-itty is a hip-hop spoof of Shakespeare. And I really didn't expect to like the spoof at all. But it was hilarious!

Death of a Salesman will always hold a special place in my heart, since it was the first straight play I ever did. It was the first time that I recognized how powerful drama can be, and I will always love it. It is a story about a salesman who has fought for the American dream his whole life, but never achieved it. He is slowly falling apart, and so is the life he worked so hard to build for his family. For those of you who have never seen it, if you get the opportunity you should GO!

Bomb-itty was much more clever than I expected. It was a spoof of Shakespeare's 'A Comedy of Errors' which is about 2 sets of twins who were separated at birth. When their paths cross as adults, I'm sure you can imagine that hilarity ensues. It's a case of mistaken identity, plus Shakespeare, plus rap, plus cross-dressing (there were 4 male actors who played every part in the show, including hookers and pink gorillas). It was not a show I anticipated enjoying, since I don't usually enjoy hip-hop and I feel like spoofs on Shakespeare have been done to death. But this was done well, and it was good to lighten up after a show that ends (predictably) in the death of the main character.

Anyway, I had a blast, I love theatre, that's all!

No comments:

Post a Comment