Sunday, November 6, 2011

Parenting Problems

Ladies and Gentleman, I have a confession to make.
I have raised a wimp. My kiddo is a sweet, smart, funny, charming kid. He is also a total scaredy-cat.
I feel like I've done something wrong! This Halloween, when we were trick-or-treating, he was so terrified to go to certain houses that he stiffened like a board and cried at the thought of taking a few more steps, to verify that the "scary things" were just plastic toys. He begged me to just go collect his candy for him! (Of course, I refused.)
This weekend, we went to an indoor water park to celebrate his birthday. I wasn't even trying to convince him to go on the big scary slides, just one medium sized enclosed one. He wouldn't even try it. Again, cried, stiffened up, went hysterical.
Last night, sleeping in the hotel room, we turned off the lights and he was so terrified of the dark that he begged to hold my hand. Then, kept his death-grip on my hand for about 45 minutes before finally falling asleep.
I don't know what I've done wrong to raise such a wimpy kid, but I think I need to try something seriously different. I've been reading about "Free Range Kids" and although I personally think it's an awesome idea, I think that Buddy wouldn't ever want to try something on his own!
Anyone have any suggestions? How to I turn my little domestic chicken into a free range-r?

No comments:

Post a Comment